BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Listen To My Whining!!

As my few followers may know, I am now in Gorizia, Italy, where I will stay for the remainder of my school year and for a bit of next summer.
My town is very small and most of the buildings are very old and there is an old Roman ruin near my town. The beach is about an hour away in a town called Grado. I stayed there on my family's boat for a night but, it didn't exactly go over well due to the fact that I was already feeling sick when I woke up the next morning and they were frying fish for their friends and we had mysteriously moved from the dock to the middle of the sea. Half awake, I met their friends and then sat on the front of the boat when suddenly a wave of sickness over came me and I promptly vomited.
Since then, I haven't felt altogether there...mentally and physically... I am extremely homesick and I want to get over it as soon as possible...
On my way here, I arrived at the SLC airport all ready to leave when, after an hour of tom-foolery, they canceled my flight. Needless to say, I was upset... although, it was nice to see some of my family again before I left. When I finally arrived in Chicago, I had a lay over for 3 hours in which I made some pretty funny observances. First, there was the little german boy. He was accompanied by his sweaty elephant of a father and his mother who was sporting a fine mustache indeed. He was one of those children who are probably younger than they seem because of his portly figure. He had an very unfortunate haircut where his head was buzzed except for his bangs which were kept long in the front. They had given him a huge bag of Airheads which he was obviously devouring lovingly because his mouth and teeth were colored blue. Why wouldn't you give a child a bag of Airheads before a 14 hour flight?? It's a perfect way to let the person sitting in front of you know your there by consistently kicking the back of the seat.
I am disoriented to say the least. Being jet lagged mixed with gut wrenching homesickness is enough to make you want to die. I'm trying so hard to learn Italian but you start to hate it after a while when all you hear is noise noise noise noise!!!! It feels so incredibly good to write in English and not have to dumb it down. I am trying but, I can only handle so much of my host grandma following me around and talking to me in Italian thinking I know what she's babbling about.
So far, I have no friends at my school. My only friend is the maid at my house named Jeanny. She's very sweet, but probably thinks i'm so weird because I follow her around, make her listen to my sob stories about being homesick and I eat in the kitchen with her instead of eating in the dining room. It just feels weird to be waited on ALL the time. For once in my life I want to do dishes, laundry and other chores. Looks like all my complaining back home backfired on me.
Right now, i'm going to meet Jeanny's sister because my host parents went to a dinner. I think Jeanny knows I need to get out of the house.
More later....

4 comments:

Megan said...

I think you're going to end up becoming too awesome for everybody in the world.

I am jealous of you.

I want a Jeanny.

Olive said...

I want a Jeanny in my life too!! Shes so cute!! And by the way, Megan, i'm already too awesome for everybody in the world but, so are you and thats why were friends:)

Veritas said...

"an unfortunate haircut"

Hannah said...

Megan stole my comment.